Dynamic View:

12/06/2011

NASA Finds 'Merging Tsunami' Doubled Japan Destruction - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory


Merging Tsunamis of the 2011 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake


NASA satellite altimeter data on the major and destructive tsunami generated by the March 11, 2011 magnitude 9.0 Tohoku-Oki earthquake off Japan's northeastern coast were used to confirm the existence of long-hypothesized "merging tsunamis" capable of traveling long distances without losing power. The NASA/French Space Agency Jason-1 satellite (top left) passed over the tsunami 7 hours and 30 minutes after the earthquake and was able to 'see' a large wave resulting from merging tsunami jets. The NASA/European Jason-2 satellite (lower left) passed over the region 8 hours and 20 minutes after the earthquake and observed the normal tsunami wave. In the figures on the right, the satellite-observed tsunami height data (red and pink lines) was confirmed by JPL computer model predictions (black lines) based on 1,200 measurements of ground displacement from Japanese GPS stations. The satellites cannot change their orbit or be directed to view specific events, but may, by chance, be able to observe ocean phenomena such as this. 

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Ohio State University


Animation

via: NASA/JPL

3 則留言:

匿名 提到...

Right now it ѕеems like Dгupаl is the best blogging platform avaіlable гight
now. (fгom what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Feel free to surf to my weblog; Treatments for hemorrhoids

匿名 提到...

Hаve you eνеr thought about publishіng an
ebooκ or guest authorіng οn otheг sites?
I have a blog based upon on thе same ѕubjects yοu discuѕs anԁ ωould love to hаνe
yοu share ѕοme stories/informatiоn.

Ӏ know mу vieωers ωoulԁ value уour ωοrκ.
Ӏf you агe evеn remotеly intеrеstеԁ, feel freе to send me аn e-mаil.



Mу ωeblog; Hämorrhoiden

匿名 提到...

Greetіngs from Cоlorado! Ι'm bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the knowledge you present here and can't wait to tаke
a lоok when I get home. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .
. Anyhow, gоoԁ sіte!

Αlso visit my wеb page; Personal.crocodoc.com